A History of Richmond Town Cricket Club
Richmond Town’s history can be traced back to the early 1700s, when Richmond Green was one of the earliest centres for club cricket. These early games included what is claimed as the first authentic drawn game of cricket, played in 1731. In another match, the Club was forced to field for two days while Payne of Kent and Hearne of Middlesex stayed at the wicket for two days for a South of England XI. Cricket in those days was more leisured, and there are reports of the team travelling up-river by steam launch for fixtures against the likes of Shepperton.
By the early 1860s, cricket at Richmond had evolved into two sections, the Richmond Town Cricket Club and the Richmond Club (which remains in Richmond). The Town played on the Green until 1885 when, because cricket was becoming ‘dangerous’ – there are reports of two fatalities (cause unknown) amongst the crowds of up to 10,000 that used to gather in those days – the Crown authorities were persuaded to allow part of the Deer Park to be enclosed. The Town took the lead in establishing what became the Richmond Athletic Ground and in successfully promoting a company, the Richmond Town Cricket Ground and Athletic Association Ltd, to finance the project. Members in the early 1900s included Tom Richardson of Surrey, Somerset and England, George Platt of Surrey and Len Braund of Surrey and Somerset.
The Athletic Ground became home to Richmond and London Scottish rugby clubs and the Royal Richmond Horse Show, as well as providing facilities for tennis, bowls, hockey and athletics. However, over time, the Club lost control of the holding company and in 1958 was forced to leave. No suitable alternative ground could be found within the Borough of Richmond, but through the efforts of its officers (and the hospitality of its membership) the Club survived as a wandering outfit before moving in 1966 to the current pleasant ground in Sunbury. Four sides were run through most of this period, with the third and fourth elevens playing some matches at a ‘home’ ground in Ham, as well as a substantial midweek programme.
The Club was threatened again in the mid 1980s when its landlord, Lazards Bank, applied for planning permission to develop the ground. Happily, a Department of Environment Inquiry refused the application, although permission was granted for a development on what was the car park in the north east corner of the ground. The ground has since been classified as urban open space, and the threat of development appears to have receded for the immediate future.
League
cricket
Richmond Town joined the South Middlesex and North Surrey League (subsequently the North Thames League) in the early 1970s. In 1976, the Club was elected to the 1975 League formed from clubs based in West London and within the M3/M40 ‘quadrant’, initially playing at 1st and 2nd XI level, with the 3rd XI joining in 1986.
Captained by Ross Compton, the 1st XI enjoyed significant success in the early years: champions in 1980, runners-up in 1986, and in the top five for most of the intervening years. While not reaching these heights, the 2nd XI also performed well during this period, and the 3rd XI finished runners-up in 1986 under Gary Ellis. The later 1980s and early 1990s were more difficult times on the field, since it proved difficult to replace key players and the group of colts who broke into the 1st XI colts during the early 1980s.
As regional pyramid structures gathered momentum, the Club joined the newly formed Division 3 of the Surrey Championship in 1992. In the early years, the standard was often challenging: the opposition included contracted Surrey players such as Tony Murphy and Chris Bullen, and some very good overseas players. The 1st XI, led by Don Taylor, knuckled down, and progress began to occur. The side finished fourth under Bob Widdrington’s captaincy in 1996 then, following an influx of players, won the D3 championship under Ghaff Chaudhry in 1999. After two reasonably successful seasons in D2, the further loss of key players led to relegation to D3 in 2002, immediately prior to the merger with Sunbury Village to form Kempton CC.
The 3rd XI finished third in 1999, captained by Peter Stevens, being overtaken only after losing to eventual Champions Streatham on the final Saturday of the League season.
Cup
cricket
A highlight of the early years in Sunbury was reaching the finals of the Decca Cup, a Surrey-wide evening knockout competition played over 15 eight-ball overs, in 1971. The last four clubs competed at the Oval on Friday 13 August, where Town defeated holders Old Emanuel off the last ball of a thrilling semi-final. Colin Johnson and Maurice Welsman scored the eight runs required in the final over of the semi, Colin winning the player of the day award for his 54*. Unfortunately the team found it difficult to raise their game again for the final against Epsom, played immediately after the semi-final, and were never really in the hunt.
History repeated itself in 1997 in the Rourke’s Lager Cup, an eight-a-side, 30 eight-ball over competition over the South East region. In the semi-final at Horsham, chasing an unlikely 307 for victory against Sutton, 40 were required from the last two overs, and a boundary from the last ball which Michael Waite (55*) struck over the bowlers head for six (net eight under the rules of the competition) and victory. Despite another 42 from Michael and 53 from Mick Morton, the closely fought final, also played at Horsham, ended in defeat by Alton.
Touring
The Tour in late June/early July was a long-standing feature of the Town season. For many years (from 1962 to 1997) the Club toured Dorset, enjoying the opportunity to play on beautiful grounds such as Dorchester, Sherborne, Lymington, Bovington, Dean Park, and of course Poole Park – where both wicket and outfield changed markedly in character when the tide came in. Other grounds were more eccentric; for example, what seemed to be the Lord of the Manor’s cabbage patch at Fovant where Town vanquished Wessex Stags despite going in to lunch at 48–8, and Portland Red Triangle where victory was claimed on the top of Portland Bill in dense fog that made it intermittently impossible for anyone off the square to see what was happening. Victory over Wessex Stags at the minor county ground at Trowbridge, chasing 228, was wrapped up by consecutive sixes from Ross Compton each of which shattered a large picture window in the pavilion. The sight of George Fawkes being pursued by a mobile sightscreen blown down the hill at Dorchester is also indelibly etched in the mind of those witnessing it. The gruelling schedule, on and off the field, beach and putting green, produced many hardened veterans – none more so than Ross himself, who was almost ever-present and organised the vast majority of these tours.
Since 1998, the Club has toured West Somerset from a base in picturesque Dunster, exploring the many attractive village grounds in the area, with P. G. Lewis taking over the organisational role.
Personalities
This brief history would not be complete without an attempt to pay tribute to the many members whose efforts have supported Richmond Town over the years. This is inevitably incomplete – corrections and additions welcome. The list of officers since 1937, given below, provides a complementary view of these contributions.
Two members were ever-present on the Executive Committee following the Club’s move to Sunbury in 1966. Maurice Welsman served several spells as Secretary, an extended period as Treasurer, as 2nd XI Captain, and a decade as President before his untimely death in 2003. His generous donations and legacy allowed the Club to purchase the current artificial net and its predecessor. Ross Compton served as 1st XI Captain for 15 years, Captain of the Club for considerably longer than that, and has been Chairman of the Club for the past 30 years. Ross continued a proud family tradition, since his father, Ken, served as Captain of the 1st XI in the post-war period and then President over the difficult period when the Club was without a ground; his grandfather and uncle were also prominent members in the 1940s and 1950s. Both Ross and Maurice showed remarkable talent as groundsmen, not least when Ron Smith was out of action for the best part of 18 months in the late 1980s.
Brian Cann, who celebrates his sixtieth year with the Club in 2006, is another important figure. During the Club’s move to Sunbury, which was set up by the late Ken Brown through his contacts with Lazards Bank, Brian’s expertise was brought to bear in negotiations over the lease for the Sunbury ground; he subsequently played an important role in fending off the threat of development in 1987, ensuring that the Club’s future interests were protected. Brian served as Secretary, Chairman and Captain of 2nd and 3rd XIs, then as President. President’s XI games in this period were seldom less than interesting: strong sides were buoyed by guests who included John Snow, Haroon Rashid, Aravinda de Silva, and Simon Hughes.
Ken Brown himself was a major figure through the 1950s and 1960s. During an extended period as Social Secretary, he organised many of the Club’s famous dinners at the Bull in East Sheen and was a very entertaining after dinner speaker.
Maurice also, in 1998, joined the elite group to compete 50 years as a playing member, alongside L. P. W. (Spud) Murphy (in 1980) and Owen Skinner (in 1987) – all celebrated with special matches in Cricket Week. The year 1996 was a sad one for the Club, bringing the death of Spud, Owen and a third stalwart, Percy Lewis, scion of another of the Club’s dynasties. With the evident intention of confusing scorers, Percy (P.A.) named his first two sons Paul (P.) and Peter (P.G, who himself reaches 40 years’ membership in 2006). Together with other sons Chris and Martin, and the late Derek Lewis (no relation), an entire team of Lewis's was fielded in one inter-Club six-a-side competitions.
Other members achieving fifty or more years of membership include: Charlie Perry (1st XI Captain and Match Secretary for substantial periods), the late Eric Rowlands (Treasurer for some 16 years), Stuart Stredwick (2nd XI Captain, Treasurer and Match Secretary), the late John Barnard (Secretary and Match Secretary), and the late Reg Johnson. Reg deserves special mention for his services over decades as the Club’s press secretary and archivist – ensuring, week after week, excellent coverage in the local press – and to the Colts section for many years in the 1960s and 1970s, producing a generation of young cricketer who that provided the backbone of the 1st and 2nd XIs during the 1980s. With daughter Jill, he also ran the results service of the 1975 League for over a decade. His sons Roger (R. K. – 1st XI Captain and Match Secretary) and Colin (who toured Pakistan with an England Under 19 team) also appeared for the Club with distinction.
The bar is a crucial component of the Club, and the contributions of two long-serving Bar Chairmen should be recognised. First, Gerry Shaw, who ran the bar with wife Maureen from 1980 to 1988 before subsequently becoming Secretary. The pavilion water, gas and electrical systems also bear the marks of his work over the years. Gerry was never a playing member, although once pressed into service he promptly struck Marlow’s opening bowler for four. This latent talent flourished in his sons Clive (who went on to captain Sunbury with distinction) and Nigel, and a third generation began its career in 2005. Second, Iain Mackay, who with Celia (also Social Secretary) was Bar Chairman from 1989 to 2000; their son David, briefly Treasurer before emigrating to Canada, returns to the Club in 2006. Iain was succeeded as Bar Chairman by another stalwart of recent times, Bob Watts, whose efforts on many fronts deserve recognition.
Richmond
Town Cricket Club officers from 1937
President |
|
|
1st
XI Captain |
|
H. E. Ford |
prior to 1937–1958 |
|
H. Shearcroft |
1937–1939 |
K. J. Compton |
1958–1976 |
|
K. J. Compton |
1942 |
B. L. Cann |
1977–1992 |
|
K. J. Compton |
1947–1953 |
M. C. Welsman |
1993–2003 |
|
A. G. H. Cooper |
1954–1955 |
|
|
|
S. F. Harland |
1956 |
Hon.
Secretary |
|
|
J. N. Evison |
1957–1961 |
V. F. R. Wright |
1937 |
|
C. A. Perry |
1962–1969 |
J. F. Barnard |
1938–1940 |
|
R. K. Compton |
1970–1971 |
E. N. Compton |
1942 |
|
R. N. Harrison |
1972 |
A. R. Wooding |
1947–1953 |
|
R. K. Compton |
1973–1974 |
L. P. W. Murphy |
1954–1960 |
|
R. K. Johnson |
1975–1976 |
M. C. Welsman |
1961–1963 |
|
A. K. Lloyd |
1977 |
B. L. Cann |
1964–1968 |
|
C. A. Perry |
1978–1979 |
R. J. Mason |
1969 |
|
R. K. Compton |
1980–1990 |
B. L. Cann |
1970–1972 |
|
D. T. Taylor |
1991–1993 |
M. A. Stevens |
1973–1974 |
|
L. Addinell |
1994 |
R. B. Wallis |
1974 |
|
R. Widdrington |
1995–1996 |
M. C. Welsman |
1975–1980 |
|
D. T. Taylor |
1997 |
J. F. Bacon |
1981–1983 |
|
A. Dalton |
1998 |
M. C. Welsman |
1983–1984 |
|
G. Chaudhry |
1999–2000 |
M. A. Hull |
1985–1997 |
|
C. Shaw |
2001 |
S. G. Shaw |
1998– |
|
M. Watts |
2002– |
|
|
|
|
|
Hon.
Treasurer |
|
|
2nd
XI Captain |
|
F. Kaemena |
1937–1948 |
|
A. Good |
1937–1938 |
L. Hilder |
1949 |
|
E. J. Day |
1939 |
C. W. Barnard |
1950–1952 |
|
L. F. Antram |
1948–1949 |
J. A. Smith |
1953–1955 |
|
O. H. Skinner |
1950–1954 |
H. T. Nicholls |
1956 |
|
S. F. Harland |
1955 |
E. J. Rowlands |
1957–1972 |
|
M. Hilder |
1956–1957 |
S. F. Stredwick |
1973–1974 |
|
C. Reed |
1958 |
D. A. Lewis |
1975–1980 |
|
P. Flewitt |
1959–1962 |
M. C. Welsman |
1981–1994 |
|
A. J. Morris |
1963–1964 |
R. E. Watts |
1995 |
|
L. P. W. Murphy |
1965–1966 |
R. Beard |
1996–2000 |
|
S. F. Stredwick |
1967–1969 |
D. Mackay |
2001–2002 |
|
B. L. Cann |
1970–1973 |
R. E Watts |
2002– |
|
M. C. Welsman |
1974–1975 |
|
|
|
I. Inchley |
1976–1978 |
Hon.
Match Secretary |
|
|
M. C. Welsman |
1979 |
J. F. Barnard |
1937 |
|
M. Johnson |
1980 |
H. J. Taylor |
1938 |
|
N. Wheelan |
1981 |
N. Compton |
1939–1942 |
|
P. Brook |
1982–1983 |
A. R. Wooding |
1949–1952 |
|
D. Welsman |
1984 |
W. H. Hill |
1953–1954 |
|
G. Davies |
1985–1986 |
P. Flewitt |
1955–1961 |
|
M. C. Welsman |
1987–1988 |
S. F. Stredwick |
1962–1968 |
|
C. Welsman |
1989–1990 |
P. F. Flewitt |
1969–1972 |
|
L. Blyth |
1991 |
T. P. Mason |
1973–1977 |
|
N. Greenall |
1992–1993 |
C. A. Perry |
1978–1984 |
|
B. Ransley |
1994–2000 |
R. K. Johnson |
1985–1989 |
|
M. P. Morton |
2001 |
J. Gardiner |
1990 |
|
B. Ransley |
2002 |
M. P. Morton |
1991–1995 |
|
|
|
P. Stevens |
1996–2000 |
|
3rd
XI Captain |
|
D. Maidment |
2001–2005 |
|
E. N. Compton |
1937 |
|
|
|
P. Flewitt |
1938 |
Hon.
Social Secretary |
|
|
H. J. Taylor |
1939 |
H. E. Fortescue |
1937 |
|
A. Sofaer |
1949 |
N. Compton |
1938–1939 |
|
P. Flewitt |
1950–1955 |
L. P. W. Murphy |
1948–1950 |
|
B. L. Cann |
1956 |
K. E. Brown |
1955–1968 |
|
K. E. Brown |
1957 |
D. T. Dixon |
1969–1971 |
|
R. A. Seabrook |
1958 |
C. Cross |
1972 |
|
B. L. Cann |
1959–1960 |
G. N. D. Jackson |
1974–1975 |
|
O. H. Skinner |
1961 |
K. Snelling |
1976 |
|
C. Rae |
1962–1963 |
T. Hollands |
1977 |
|
W. Clarke |
1964 |
R. Wheelan |
1978–1980 |
|
C. Rae |
1965 |
P. G. Lewis |
1981–1984 |
|
C. A. J. Steel |
1966 |
G. Fawkes |
1985–1986 |
|
C. Eckford |
1967–1968 |
P. G. Lewis |
1987–1988 |
|
B. L. Cann |
1969 |
C. Mackay |
1989–1999 |
|
D. A. Lewis |
1970 |
M. Watts |
2000 |
|
M. A. Stevens |
1971–1972 |
A. Alderson |
2001–2002 |
|
D. T. Dixon |
1973 |
|
|
|
O. H. Skinner |
1974–1975 |
|
|
|
K. Snelling |
1976–1977 |
|
|
|
R. Wheelan |
1978 |
|
|
|
R. Harraby |
1979 |
|
|
|
P. A. Lewis |
1980 |
|
|
|
O. H. Skinner |
1981–1982 |
|
|
|
C. P. Brown |
1983 |
|
|
|
G. Fawkes |
1984–1985 |
|
|
|
G. Ellis |
1986 |
|
|
|
K. Ellis |
1987 |
|
|
|
G. Fawker |
1988–1989 |
|
|
|
N. Barlow |
1990 |
|
|
|
G. Fawkes |
1991 |
|
|
|
M. Fenwick |
1992 |
|
|
|
M. C. Welsman |
1993 |
|
|
|
R. A. Booty |
1994 |
|
|
|
P. Stevens |
1995–2000 |
|
|
|
R. E. Watts |
2001 |
|
|
|
K. Hasley |
2002 |
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
4th
XI Captain |
|
|
|
|
P. Flewitt |
1937 |
|
|
|
H. J. Taylor |
1938 |
|
|
|
E. J. Day |
1939 |
|
|
|
H. Fanshore |
1949–1950 |
|
|
|
P. K. Archibald |
1951–1953 |
|
|
|
W. Clarke |
1955–1957 |
|
|
|
W. E. Coppen |
1961 |
Captains are Saturday appointments when post was split.
In January 2003, Richmond Town CC and Sunbury Village CC merged to form Kempton CC.
Written and compiled by Mark Hull.